BLT (Bankruptcy Lawyer Topics) is a periodic review and comparison of consumer bankruptcy topics being covered on bankruptcy lawyer blogs.
Holding a J.D. and an International Affairs M.A. from Marquette University, Matt Leichter (matt [dot] leichter [at] gmail [dot] com) is an attorney licensed in Wisconsin and New York. Fearing the legal profession’s future, he has begun documenting the law school tuition bubble at his own blog, where you can read his latest posts on the state of legal education in Minnesota, “Land of 10,000 Lakes and One Tuition Bubble: Parts I and II”.
- Click on BK Lawyer Blogs for a state-by-state list of bankruptcy lawyers with their own blogs.
- Have a blog or know a good blog post you think should be included? Or a suggestion for a future BLT theme? Send an e-mail to BLT [at] bankruptcybill [dot] us with the link.
- Suggestion to bankruptcy lawyers with blogs: Make sure to include a “Search” function somewhere on your blog. It makes it easier to find topical posts on your blog and increases the likelihood that a post from your blog will be included in BLT.
GENERAL or NON-STATE SPECIFIC
- Hey, That’s My Automatic Stay!
- New Massachusetts Bankruptcy Local Rules
- Creditors Leave Annoying Messages On Debtor’s Telephone Answering Machine
- Spookiest Bankruptcy Opinion of 2009
- All Hope May Not Be Lost For a Seller of Goods to an Insolvent Buyer
- Options for the Distressed Florida Homeowner
- It’s The Debtor’s Vehicle. Give It Back To Him!
- Trustees Can Take Hostages! – They’re Called “Exemptions”
- Counterclaims in Avoidance Actions? Are We Sure We Know Why Not?
- It’s Not Final Until It’s Over
- A Creditor May Recover Damages for Stay Violation
- Fraudulently Conveyed Assets Are Not Property of the Estate Until Recovered
- Discharge Injunction Requires School to Issue Transcript
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Bankruptcy Court’s Retroactive Conversion Order
- It’s Never Too Late to Deal with Unscheduled Assets
- Master Repurchase Agreement Penetrates the Automatic Stay
- Single Asset Real Estate: Tightening the Noose for Developers?
- Wells Fargo’s Procedure of Freezing Accounts After A Bankruptcy Filing Invalidated
- I’ve Been Sued–Is It Too Late To File Bankruptcy?
- How Not To Successfully Complete A Bankruptcy Case
- Why do I have to reaffirm my car loan?
***SEE MORE BLOG POSTS FROM BANKRUPTCY LAWYERS AROUND THE U.S.***
- Collateral and Derivatives
- Bank of America Settlement—A Sign of True Progress?
- Combining Chapter 13 with a Voluntary Mortgage Modification
- Seen This Movie Before?
- Show Me the Original Note and I Will Show You the Money
- Produce the (Bogus?) Paper
- Dubai World
Law Offices of John M. Hilla, PLLC – Michigan Bankruptcy Lawyer (Southfield, MI)
- What Is the Automatic Stay and How Does it Protect Debtors in Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy?
- What Happens if My Creditors Keep Calling after I File my Bankruptcy Petition?
Bill McLeod (McLeod Law Offices) – McLeod Law Blog (Boston, MA)
Goldstein & Clegg, LLC – Bankruptcy & Loan Modifications (Lynnfield, MA); also ABA Journal Massachusetts Bankruptcy Blog by Michael Goldstein
- Loan Modifications are not the only option
- Loan Modifications can be done even inside a bankruptcy
- Emotional Distress Damages Awarded for Creditor Violations of the Automatic Stay
- Student Loan Collections stopped by the automatic Stay
- Massachusetts Courts Split Hairs On Who May Seek Stay Relief
Belsky Weinberg & Horowitz – Maryland Bankruptcy Lawyer Blog and Maryland Lawyer Online (Baltimore, Columbia, Greenbelt, Rockville, Glen Burnie, Hagerstown, MD)
- Ninth Circuit Appeals Court Slams Wells Fargo’s Bank Account Freeze Policy
- How bankruptcy can stop foreclosure?
Lawrence & Fisher PLLC – DC Bankruptcy Blog (Washington, D.C.)
Mark Neis & Jill Michaux – Kansas Bankruptcy Law Information – (Topeka, KS)
- Why Did They Stop Sending My Mortgage Statements After Bankruptcy?
- Don’t Be Fooled by False Letter that Says Your Bankruptcy is Dismissed – Your Stay Still in Effect
Jeff Mathias, Esq. – Iowa Bankruptcy Blog (Des Moines, IA)
Mark S. Zuckerberg, Esq. (Indianapolis, IN)
- Bankruptcy Lawyer Explains New Requirement In Indiana – Mandatory Settlement Conferences For Foreclosure
- What are the Benefits of a Single Asset Real Estate case? (Third in a Series of Three)
- How do I get my creditors to stop calling me?
- Bankruptcy Tweets for the Week Ending 4/4/2010
- 9th Circuit Declares Anna Nicole Smith’s Estate the Big Loser on Preclusion Grounds in Dispute with Pierce’s Estate over Her Right to Money from J. Howard Marshall’s Estate
Jonathan Ginsberg, Esq. – theBKLaw (Atlanta, GA)
- Another Debtor Ripped Off by a Foreclosure Relief Scam: Part I, Part II
- Missed Mortgage Payments in Your Chapter 13 – An Expensive Problem
- An Automatic Stay Violation Case that is Hard to Believe
- My Chapter 13 Was Dismissed Two Weeks Ago – Can I Refile a Chapter 13?
Jonathan Alper, Esq. – Florida Bankruptcy Law Blog (Orlando, FL)
- Is It An Automatic Stay Violation If Doctor Refuses To Treat Bankrupt Patient Unless He Pays Doctor’s Pre-Petition Medical Bill?
- Court Says Foreign Creditor Can Ignore Automatic Stay And Continue Pursuit Of Debtor’s Assets Abroad
- Wage Garnishment After Bankruptcy: Is Employer Required To Withhold Post Petition Paychecks, Or Is Doing So A Stay Violation?
- · Issues Relevant To The Fairchild Corporation Bankruptcy: What are the Standards for DIP Financing Priming Liens and Granting Relief from the Automatic Stay?
- American Home Mortgage Sheds Light on the Meaning of “Repurchase Agreement”
- Bankruptcy – What If The Creditor Didn’t Intend To Harass You?
- Creditors Harassment after Bankruptcy? Tell Your Bankruptcy Lawyer!
Gailyn Wink & Michael Wink – Wink & Wink, P.C. (Denver, Co)
- Real Estate Workouts: Are Pre-Bankruptcy Waivers Of The Automatic Stay Enforceable?
- Who Gets The Benefit Of A D&O Policy’s Proceeds, The Directors And Officers Or A Bankruptcy Trustee?
- Automatic Stay Of Bankruptcy
- Who’s SARE Now? Bankruptcy’s Single Asset Real Estate Rules And Their Impact On Commercial Real Estate
- Convert, Don’t Dismiss, That Bankruptcy Case
- Lenders slow to act following relief from stay
- Provide notice of bankruptcy to the right address
- Disdain for Automatic Stay Everywhere
- Cash collateral in consumer cases
Jeena Cho, Esq. (JC Law Group) – San Francisco Bankruptcy Blog (San Francisco, CA)
Sagaria Law, PC – California Bankruptcy Lawyer Blog (San Jose, Freemon, Monterrey, Redwood City, Salinas, Sacramento, CA); also by Scott Sagaria – American Bankruptcy Association (ABA) Journal California Bankruptcy Blog
Christine Wilton, Esq. – Los Angeles Bankruptcy Law Monitor (Los Angeles, CA)
- The Automatic Stay of the Bankruptcy Code is what it says – “Automatic”
- Bankruptcy and the Automatic Stay – Mesa Arizona
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy and the Automatic Stay for Arizona Debtors
- Will Bankruptcy Stop A Foreclosure In Alabama?
- Creditors Find Ways Around New Credit Card Rules
- An Example Of Illegal Collection During A Bankruptcy Case
- How Chapter 13 Can Save Your Home
- How does foreclosure work in Wisconsin and how does filing bankruptcy stop it?
Linda Rantz (Paralegal) – Due Diligence (Seattle, WA)
Reed Allmand, Esq. (Allmand & Lee) – Reed’s Bankruptcy Attorney Blog (Dallas and Ft. Worth, TX)
- Violation of Automatic Stay Creates Interesting Twist In Bankruptcy Case
- Can Creditors Avoid An Automatic Stay?
- A Glorious Benefit of Bankruptcy – The Automatic Stay
- Filing An Emergency Bankruptcy Can Stop Foreclosure Now
- Foreclosures In The Third Quarter Topped The Record
- Dismissal of a Bankruptcy Case Does Not End of Prevent Automatic Stay Violation Litigation Even If the Court Does Not Explicitly Retain Jurisdiction to Reopen the Case.
- 5th Circuit Helps Answer the Question of Who Owns an Automatic Stay Violation Claim
Fears & Nachawati – Texas Bankruptcy Blog (Austin, Houston and San Antonio, TX)
J. Brian Allen – Northeast Texas Bankruptcy Lawyer (Sulphur Springs, TX)
- Bankruptcy Protection from Foreign Creditors
- Day 1 Filing Chapter 13 – Stopping the Foreclosure And Repossession
J. Michael McBride, P.C. – TexasLawyerBlog (Ft. Worth, TX)
- Recent Opinion in the Northern District of Texas
- Pre-Petition Workout Agreement Enforced, Even As to Stay Waiver
- Beware of Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing
- Tenth Circuit clarifies automatic termination of the automatic stay
Russell A. DeMott, Esq. – SCBankruptcyAttorney.com (Charleston, SC)
- Bankruptcy Reaffirmation Agreements (Part Two)
- What is the Automatic Stay?
- Motions for Relief from Stay Regarding Surrendered Assets (DON’T PANIC!!!)
- Remedies for Attempt to Collect Debts Included in Bankruptcy
- Should I Sign a Reaffirmation Agreement
- They Took My Car, Can I Get It Back?
Law Office of Daniel C. Nunley, Esq. – Oklahoma Bankruptcy Lawyer Blog (Broken Arrow, OK)
- Can filing bankruptcy stop my paycheck from being garnished in Oklahoma?
- What is the automatic stay in bankruptcy in Oklahoma?
Justin M. Smith, Esq. – Cleveland Bankruptcy Lawyer Blog (Cleveland, OH)
- Bankruptcy Mistakes: Don’t do these things before you file for bankruptcy in New York
- Dealing with debt collector harassment in New York
Craig D. Robins, Esq. – Long Island Bankruptcy Blog (Woodbury, NY)
- Effect of the Automatic Bankruptcy Stay on Matrimonial Litigation and Support Proceedings
- What is a Motion for Relief from Stay in Bankruptcy Court?
- Serial Bankruptcy Filers Eventually Get the Ax
Starr & Starr, PLLC – New York Bankruptcy Lawyer Blog (New York, NY)
- Using Bankruptcy to Stop Wage Garnishment in New York
- What Happens To Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims In The Manhattan Bankruptcy Court?
Wayne D. Holly, Esq. – Bankruptcy Fraud Resource Center (New York, NY)
Upstate New York
Alexander Korotkin, Esq. – Rochester Bankruptcy and Debt Relief (Rochester, NY)
- Bankruptcy Basics – All About Automatic Stay
- Bankruptcy and Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Bankruptcy, Bad Checks, Discharge and Criminal Liability
- Automatic Stay and Proceedings in New York Family Court
- Eviction, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
- Mistakes to Avoid When Filing For Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in New York
- Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy and Inheritances
- Refiling Chapter 13 Bankruptcy After Dismissal
Gini Nelson Law Office – New Mexico Bankruptcy Law Blog (Santa Fe, NM)
Stark & Stark – Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Blog (Lawrenceville, NJ)
- New Jersey Judiciary Foreclosure Mediation Program Update
- Bankruptcy Basics for Boards – Chapter 7 Debtors’ Liability for Post-Petition Assessments
Haines & Krieger (Las Vegas, NV)
- Bankruptcy’s Automatic Stay
- Can Bankruptcy Stop A Las Vegas Rental Eviction?
- Using Bankruptcy To Walk Away From A Home
- How Often Can I File Bankruptcy?
- Statement of Intention
- Declaring Bankruptcy the Right Way
- Help! My Car Has Been Repossessed!